Studio 3 Arts Associate Director Ashley Joseph is curating Black Art Matters, a season of work by black artists.
There will be 4 commissions of £3000 each, and each artist will receive an additional £500 bursary towards professional development.
We are seeking individual artists or small collectives from any genre, and we are open to supporting new ideas as well as pre-existing works. We are particularly interested in hearing from artists who haven’t had many opportunities to show their work.
Work will be shown between July 2021 and March 2022.
Closing date: Friday 16 April at 5pm
Interviews will take place week commencing 26 April
If you have any further questions about the commission, what we are looking for and your application, then please read the FAQs below.
To apply: Download and return the application form below to Liza Vallance Artistic Director/CEO at email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What sort of artforms are you looking for? Any and all!
- Can we sell the work we make and exhibit through this commission? Yes – we will support you with this.
- Can we submit a video application instead? Yes – just make sure you answer the questions on the application form so that your application is eligible.
- Can we send attachments instead of a link? Yes – no more than 5mb, or a Wetransfer/Google Drive link please.
- Does the budget have to be very detailed at this stage? No – this is a draft, indicative budget – we will work with you as things develop.
- Do we have to name collaborators at this stage? No – but if you intend to pay them (you should), make sure they are in your budget.
- If we are applying as a collective and we get shortlisted, who should come to the interview? You should decide how best to give the panel the flavour of your project.
- What if this is my first ever application form? Go for it – we want to see your ideas. We can support you every step of the way.
- How does the artist development bit work? We will create a bespoke development plan based on the individual needs of each commissioned artist. You will get a bursary to cover your time.
- Can you help with Covid planning? Yes – we are fully up to date with regulations and risk assessments for live events and have adapted our programme to respond to government restrictions.
- Can I buy equipment/materials with this budget? Yes – although material costs should be proportionate to your overall budget.
- What will the selection process look like? t will be in 3 stages – first a sift to ensure all applications are complete and eligible. Then a shortlisting process, and then finally a panel interview involving local people, S3A producers and S3A Associate Director, Ashley J.
- If I’m not successful, is there any other support available at Studio 3 Arts? We are aware that this pot of money won’t fund all the ideas we would like to support. Yes – talk to us about your ideas and areas for development. We’re always looking for interesting projects and ideas.