Today’s announcement signals an impressive year ahead for the world’s most diverse international photography competition, seeing quality, variety and a high number of entries.
- Nearly 320,000 images were submitted from across the world, seeing a 40% increase in entries compared to 2017.
- Overall winners will be revealed on April 19 2018 (23.00 GMT) and a specially curated exhibition will take place April 20 – May 6 at Somerset House, London.
The Sony World Photography Awards has four competitions
- Professional – 10 categories, judged on a body of work
- Open – 10 categories, rewarding the most outstanding images
○ National Awards – Entries submitted to this competition are automatically entered into the National Awards based on nationality
- Youth – for all photographers aged 12-19, a single image responding to one brief
- Student Focus – for those studying photography
*Please note: All competitions for the 2018 Sony World Photography Awards are now closed. The 2019 Awards will open June 1, 2018.
The 2018 announcement dates are as follows:
Professional, Open, Student Focus and Youth competition shortlist: 28 February, 2018
Open competition category winners & National Award winners: 20 March, 2018
Professional competition winners and finalists: 19 April, 2018
Student Focus winner: 19 April, 2018
Open Photographer of the Year: 19 April, 2018
Professional Photographer of the Year: 19 April, 2018
Image credit: © L-R: (top) Asha Miles, Patricia Kühfuss, Xiaoxiao Liu
(bottom) Wiebke Haas, Anush Babajanyan, Sphiwo Hlatshwayo, 2018 Sony World Photography Awards
You must log in to post a comment.