Small businesses offered six months free rent to take up shop in London’s famous Oxford Street as Westminster City Council looks to restore pride to its high street.
Westminster City Council announce a new chapter of our award-winning retail programme on one of the world’s most iconic shopping streets.
Called Meanwhile On: Oxford Street, we are inviting all innovative, cutting-edge and up-and-coming businesses looking to launch their first store to apply.
Up to 35 brands will be given a prime store location for an initial six-month period, 100% rent-free. There will be a variety of store sizes on offer, single tenancy and curated stores shared between like-minded concepts.
The initial deadline for applications is 12pm on Wednesday, 30 August 2023.
What we are offering
Successful applicants will benefit from:
- approximate six-month rent-free tenancy on London’s iconic Oxford Street
- a 70% reduction on business rates liability throughout tenancy
- an incredible package of support including store design, mentoring and management from independent retail consultants Someday Studios
- PR and marketing support
Eligibility and how to apply
We are looking for innovative and up-and-coming small businesses that:
- are looking to launch a physical space
- can offer something unique to Oxford Street’s audience in terms of product, events, experience or concept
- have the potential to go on to launch a long-term store independently after developing their brand through the programme
- have sufficient capital to cover the project costs (please read the Applicants Guide) and to sustain the rest of their business whilst running a store for six months
- have sufficient resources to run a store for six months on one of the world’s busiest streets. This includes staff, stock, promotion and general execution
- want to play a part in shaping Oxford Street’s future for the better
- care about sustainability and can demonstrate how it plays a part in their business
This programme is not intended to support well-established retailers who would otherwise already be able to operate a store in Central London without the support of this programme.
You can apply to be part of the Meanwhile on: Oxford Street programme by completing our form.
Please take a look at the PDF version of the application form before applying online to familiarise yourself with the process.
Please also make sure you read the applicants guide and the scoring criteria.