The format of next month’s BAFTA Games Awards has changed from a red carpet ceremony at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London to an online live stream, which will broadcast globally on the same day as scheduled (Thursday 2 April).
The British Academy Games Awards is BAFTA’s annual celebration of the very best in games in 2019. The nominations highlight an outstanding level of creative excellence from a broad range of UK and international development teams.
The Awards will be hosted by Dara O’Briain and will take place on Thursday 2 April at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on London’s Southbank. The Awards, will be live streamed on BAFTA’s Facebook, Twitch, Twitter and YouTube channels. How to watch here.
- 11 nominations each for Control and for Death Stranding. 11 is the highest number of nominations for a game in the history of the BAFTA Games Awards (the first standalone games ceremony was in 2004).
- Seven nominations for Disco Elysium, the debut release from ZA/UM.
- Five nominations each for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Life is Strange 2 (episodes 2-5) and Outer Wilds.
- Four nominations each for Knights and Bikes and Untitled Goose Game.
- Three nominations for Wattam.
- Nominations across the new categories:
- Animation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Control, Death Stranding, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Sayonara Wild Hearts and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Technical Achievement: A Plague Tale: Innocence, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Control, Death Stranding, Metro Exodus, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.
- Performer in a Leading Role: Laura Bailey (Gears 5), Courtney Hope (Control), Logan Marshall-Green (Telling Lies), Gonzalo Martin (Life is Strange 2 -episodes 2-5), Barry Sloane (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare) and Norman Reedus (Death Stranding);
- Performer in a Supporting Role: Jolene Andersen (Life of Strange 2-episodes 2-5), Troy Baker (Death Stranding), Sarah Bartholomew (Life is Strange 2-episodes 2-5), Ayisha Issa (The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan), Léa Seydoux (Death Stranding) and Martti Suosalo (Control).
- Nominations in the Game Beyond Entertainment category: Civilization VI: Gathering Storm, Death Stranding, Kind Words (Lo Fi Chill Beats to Write To), Life is Strange 2 (episodes 2-5), Neo Cab and Ring Fit Adventure.
- Other games receiving nominations: Concrete Genie, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, DiRT Rally 2.0, Heaven’s Vault, Observation, Planet Zoo, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Ape Out, Katana ZERO, Manifold Garden, Path of Exile, No Man’s Sky: Beyond, Destiny 2, Apex Legends, Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers, Fortnite, Vacation Simulator, Baba is You, Borderlands 3, Tick Tock: A Tale for Two, Tom Clancy’s The Division 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Sayonara Wild Hearts and The Outer Worlds.
Voting is now open for the EE Mobile Game of the Year, the only award voted for by the public. The shortlist is Assemble with Care, Call of Duty: Mobile, Dead Man’s Phone, Pokémon Go, Tangle Tower and What the Golf. Vote now at https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/ee-baftas/bafta-mobile-game-award-vote